Application (EU/Non-EU)
Enrolment (EU/Non-EU)

Accepting your Place at University

The enrolment (or "matriculation") is the official "go" for your studies in Lower Saxony: In the process, you will be registered in the list of students for a specific study programme.

Once your letter of admission has arrived, you will have a set period to pay your semester contribution. If possible, you should pay by money transfer or cash deposit from Germany, since transfers from abroad often cause problems.


Then you can finally enrol at your university. For the registration, you will have to go to your university's Office of Student Affairs ("Studierendensekretariat") in person. You will also need to bring the documents specified in your letter of admission. If you are not sure which documents to bring, check with your International Office.

As a rule, you will need at least the following documents:

  • Your letter of admission
  • A proof of payment for your semester contribution
  • A proof of health insurance that is valid in Germany for the duration of your stay

And then:
Congratulations! You're now officially a student in Lower Saxony!

Directly after the registration you will receive an enrolment certificate ("Immatrikulations- bescheinigung"), which you will have to show when registering at the Residents' Registration Office ("Einwohnermeldeamt") and/or the Foreigners' Registration Office ("Ausländerbehörde"). Several days later you will also receive your student ID by mail.